	-----Original Message-----
	From: Viney D.S.
	Sent: Wed 03/03/2004 17:17
	To: enable
	Subject: FW: DDA Conference 28.4.04

	Hi Carole or Adam, please could you send the following email on to mailto:[log in to unmask] for us.... I cannot as my email address is not on their list, but enable is....

	Disability Discrimination in Higher and Further Education

	Wednesday, 28th April 2004

	City Conference Centre, 80 Colman Street, London

	Disability discrimination is one of the fastest growing areas of discrimination law and is having an increased impact on Higher and Further Education. Legal challenges under the existing legislation illustrate the importance of institutions assessing the suitability of their arrangements. New legislation will require them to look even more closely. This one day conference brings together experts in the fields of disability rights to highlight the main challenges that universities and colleges face in this area. It considers the lessons to be learnt from litigation under the Disability Discrimination Act and how to prepare for additional obligations under the new legislation concentrating on the practical steps that need to be taken.

	This conference will be of interest to Vice-Chancellors, Senior Managers, Student Advice and Welfare Officers, Equal Opportunity Advisers, Human Resource Managers, Admissions and Examinations Officers, Estates and Buildings Officers and all those dealing with student matters.

			9.00 Registration and Coffee

			9.40 Introduction and Welcome by Chair
			Professor Jonathan Montgomery

			9.45 Keynote Address
			Barry Sheerman MP

			10.00 Overview of the DDA Part IV
			Tony Askham

			10.30 Preparing for the New Disability Act
			Neil Crowther

			11.00 Coffee

			11.20 Exposure to Litigation and Case Roundup
			Tony Askham

			11.50 The DDA in Action – a View from SKILL
			Jenni Dyer

			12.30 Panel session

			12.45 Lunch

			1.45 How to Design and Use an Audit Tool of the Non-Built Environment and Implementing the Results: A Practical Perspective
			Melissa Godfray
			Jean Jameson

			2.35 Supporting Students with Mental Health Difficulties
			Sue Meads

			3.00 Tea

			3.15 Vocational Training: A Special Case?
			Lindsey Brown

			3.35 The Physical Environment: Preparing for 2005
			James Rees

			3.55 Panel session and close

	Speakers:

	Jonathan Montgomery, Professor of Health Care Law, School of Law, University of Southampton; Chairman, West Hampshire NHS Trust

	Barry Sheerman MP, Chair of Select Committee for Education & Skills

	Tony Askham, Partner & Head of Education Sector, Bond Pearce, Southampton

	Neil Crowther, Policy Oficer, Education,Disability Rights Commission

	Jenni Dyer, Policy Director, Higher Education, SKILL, National Bureau for Students with Disabilities

	Melissa Godfray, Solicitor, Bond Pearce

	Jean Jameson, Advisor to Students with Disabilities & Dyslexia, LSE

	Sue Meads, Co-ordinator of Mentor Service, University of Southampton

	Lindsey Brown, School of Law, University of Southampton

	James Rees, Associate, Bond Pearce, Bristol

	Fee: £295 per person (VAT Exempt).

	Please contact Jill Elliott, Faculty of Law, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ. Tel: 023 8059 3378 Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

	Or download further details and an application form from our conference website:

	http://www.law.soton.ac.uk/conferences <http://www.law.soton.ac.uk/conferences>

	Organised by School of Law, University of Southampton, in conjunction with Bond Pearce, Solicitors

	Deb Viney
	Disability Co-ordinator
	University of Southampton
	c/o Accommodation office, Building 16,