I agree too: assess the environment not the individual. This also shifts
the responsibility away from the poor overworked disability officer and
onto the person in charge of the environment......they may well already
have a general risk assessment form for Labs etc and al that might be
needed is for this form to be amended so that the person competing it is
required to think about all users.

ATB

Claire

--On 03 November 2004 14:11 +0000 "Smith, Tony"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Also, under the DDA it is sensible to look at such things as, are there
> steps, and, if so, is the lighting suitable for people  with visual
> impairments. You can not wait until the fact that someone who is visually
> impaired falls down. In a lab, are chemicals at such a height that someoe
> in a wheelchair may be at risk if they have to use them?
>
> Tony

----------------------
Claire Wickham,
Director: Centre for Access and Communication Studies
University of Bristol
Union Building
Queen's Road
Clifton