-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Filmer
Sent: 21 October 2004 09:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Parking query

As a disabled driver myself, I am not in favour of expanding parking
schemes to those who do not qualify for blue badges. This bypasses the
assessments that are already in place for identifying those individuals
who have real difficulties, and therefore need to park in wide space or
nearer to buildings.

Here at Portsmouth we have significant parking limitations and the
university has a blanket policy not to provide parking for students. We
recommend that disabled students firstly apply for a blue badge. If
successful, then a University parking permit is granted and they can park
in the 'disabled' bays. If they are not successful, we use the DSA to cover
the costs of using taxis to get the student around (thus avoiding the
parking issues).

Some students with mobility issues also obtain scooters through the DSA
in order that they can get around the campus without relying on a car at
all!

David

=== David Filmer, Disability Co-ordinator
AdditionalSupport and Disability Advice Centre
Student Advice Services, University of Portsmouth,
Nuffield Centre, St Michael's Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2ED
Tel: (023) 9284 3462   ~   Fax: (023) 9284 3460