---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 11 August 2004 12:47 +0100
From: Theresa Stone <[log in to unmask]>
To: Brenda Giddey--STU SERVICE <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Any advice please?

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone can advise. We have a deaf student joining Sussex this
Autumn. The student's first language is BSL and he has requested
Interpreter Support for all lectures. We will also be arranging note taker
support for lectures and seminars and are expecting to have an Access
Centre recommendation to include Learning Support. CSWs will be required
for group work, library work, meetings with tutors (including seminars,
although it is likely that the Interpreter who covered a given lecture
would need to cover the corresponding seminar).

The support costs are, as anticipated, in excess of the DSA. We need to be
able to make a case for consideration of the costs by the University and it
would be extremely helpful to know whether similar costs have been covered
by other institutions, including the extent e.g. any maximums.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Terry

Theresa Stone, Disability Co-ordinator
Student Services, University of Sussex