Hi Louise
You might want to contact my collegue Delyth who deals with this here but she
will be on leave until 5th July  - her email address is [log in to unmask]

Regards
Caryl

>>> [log in to unmask] 23/06/2004 13:34:29 >>>
Hi,

Can anyone let me know what approach is taken at other HE's with regard to the
two following issues relating to Support Workers (note takers, dyslexia tutors,
mentors etc) which we are currently reviewing?

Training we would like to offer a training programme for our support workers
and have been considering whether we should offer payment to them for attending,
particularly with regard to training that is considered highly important that
they attend (such as equal ops), although not actually compulsory. If support
workers are paid we are wondering whether we should pay them at their usual
hourly rate they receive when undertaking their support roles (which would mean
that each person attending the training could be receiving a different rate of
pay for their attendance) or at a standardised training rate (which would mean
they could be earning a higher or lower rate than they would normally receive.

Expenses At present we pay travel expenses to all our support workers for their
journey to work and home. However, this is proving difficult as some of our team
travel substantial distances and therefore submit quite high claims every month.
We are considering increasing their hourly rate of pay to reflect the fact that
they have their own expenses to cover and stopping the travel expense claims.

I would really appreciate hearing how these two areas are managed by other HE's
and any ideas anyone may have.

With thanks,

Louise

Louise Baddeley
Mental Health Support Co-ordinator
Disability/Dyslexia Team
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH
Tel: 01895 274000 ext. 4865
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

-
Caryl Davies