-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Claire Wickham, Centre for
Access and Communication Studies
Sent: 11 June 2004 12:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What qualifies as a disability?

Yes, and if you are examining the social model of disability then dyslexia
can only be the impairment and the disability is, as David says, the
disadvantage that the student then experiences as a result of the
institutional practices.

ATB

Claire

--On 11 June 2004 11:54 +0100 David Pollak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In my opinion, in an educational context the 'disability' of dyslexia is
> constructed by the practices of educational institutions.
>
> David Pollak
> De Montfort University

----------------------
Claire Wickham,
Director: Centre for Access and Communication Studies
University of Bristol
Union Building
Queen's Road
Clifton