People with dyslexia don't want the label of disability because of its
connection to abnormality.

Deaf people feel the same way. Personally whilst I recognise that society
calls my deafness a disability, I don't experience it as an abnormality but
rather a difference.

As such, DSA can be seen to be a recognition of different support needs
that enables access, rather than an entity that labels people as abnormal.
It is however difficult to to stress this aspect when in general society
emphaises another.

Ember

Dr Ember Kelly
Communication & Support Services Co-ordinator
Access Unit for Deaf and Disabled Students
University of Bristol, 4th Floor, Union Building
Queens Road, Clifton, Bristol BS8 1LN
Tel: 0117 954 5729 (voice) 0117 9545731 (minicom)
Mobile: 07717 360868 (SMS text only)  Fax: 0117 923 8546
E-mail: [log in to unmask]