Hi Kirsty
We have a system like this in place within our school (education,
health & sciences) at the University of Derby. The contacts are academic
staff mainly, although we also have a couple of representatives from
admin services. At the moment we meet on a monthly basis and , when
possilbe, representatives from Student Support Services & Quality
Devlelopment (where we have someone specifically employed to develop
academic's skills in relation to accommodating disabled student's needs)
come to the meetings too. The meetings have been excellent in terms
ofsharing good practice & discussion & resolution of issues, but as
usual, it is hard to find the time to meet in our busy schedules,
particularly because we don't get time allocated to this role either.
I hope you are able to put something into place - I have found it very
useful. Good Luck
Catherine Willson

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/29/04 03:23pm >>>
Hi all,

At Brighton we are looking to introduce a system of disability
'contacts'
within academic schools. There used to be such a system, but because
there
was no time allocated to the role the network died out, and I'm now
hoping
we can persuade the powers-that-be to support us in resurrecting it.

The role would involve acting as the main link between the Disability
Service and the department which leads on L&T issues in the University,
and
the school. This might be in respect of individual students, but also
more
generic (student) disability issues relating to the school.

I would be really grateful to anyone who could get back to me with
answers
to the following questions.

1. Do you have such a system?
2. Are the contacts academic or admin staff?
3. Is there a forum at which the contacts can meet termly/annually to
discuss disability issues?
4. What is the nature of the role, and their remit in relation to the
disability service?
5. Pros / cons with the system.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kirsty