Here we run a Learning Support Assistants (non-medical helpers) scheme,
where LSA's receive a standard hourly rate of pay for the hours that
they work.
A number of our students are on courses that involve studying off-site
i.e. day field trips, museum visits, research visits etc. and require
LSA support whilst doing such activities.

I am wondering who should meet the additional traveling expenses of
non-medical assistants when they are supporting students away from their
normal place of work. Can this be met from a student's DSA as part of
their non-medical helpers allowance? If the non-medical helper has to
meet costs themselves, then there is a disincentive for them to
undertake this work. Or should the institution running the scheme meet
the costs from invoicing LEAs a greater hourly amount than they pay
non-medical assistants?

thanks

alice

Alice Pennington
Disabilities Officer

RED Centre
University of Surrey Roehampton
Froebel College
Roehampton Lane
London
SW15 5PJ

Tel: 020 8392 3113 ext 4088
Fax: 020 8392 3735
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

content by The University of Surrey Roehampton