We operate a similar scheme to that which Phil is suggesting.

Students with a disability have to present their medical evidence to
the relevant person in senior management, in order to qualify for a
parking permit. At our site students aren't entitled to permits if they
live on campus, but in cases such as this they are allowed to apply
for a permit even if they aren't a blue badge holder.

Hope this helps.

On 20 Oct 2004, at 9:50, P.Satchell wrote:

> Anna
>
> Some thoughts: Perhaps you could introduce an internal 'blue badge'
> type scheme. ie a University issued parking permit that is provided to
> disabled students with mobility problems and would be treated by your
> parking wardens (or whoever) as conferring the same right to use
> allocated bays as a Blue Badge. Although this individual may not be a
> student at your university you presumably have your own students who
> are in a similar position, ie disabled but no badge. If you don't want
> to extend this to non-registered students perhaps a loan system would
> work. Student presents himself to library desk with evidence that he's
> entitled to use the library and that he has been accepted as having
> mobility difficulties. He is then loaned a permit for the duration of
> his visit which he then returns at the end of the day.
>
> Phil
> Phil Satchell
> Access Centre Manager, The Open University.
> Tel 01908 858214. Fax 01908 655402

Deborah Altman
Disability Co-ordinator
Trinity and All Saints University College
Brownberrie Lane
Horsforth
Leeds
LS18 5HD