One of our students is planning to apply to a research council for
funding to do a PhD. For her masters, the University allowed twice
the usual time at no extra fees because her disability means that
she is not able to work at the same pace as other students.

Apparently the research council has two funding streams - 3 years
of study full-time (including maintence costs) or fees only for part-
time students. She is in the position of needing full-time funding for
6 years, or taking even longer to complete the PhD so that she can
work part-time in the limited time available to her, as well as
studying part-time. I have suggested that she ask the Research
Council whether they build any additional disability-related costs
into the maintenance components of their grants (in the way that
they integrate DSA into the fees component). Does anyone else
have any experience of this?

Thanks

Hannah

******************************