-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Katy Mann
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 4:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dyslexia and Vitamin Deficiency

 A dyslexic student has just been  to see me with regard to resit exams
she took back in August for which she received special exam
arrangements.

The nature of her course was such that she has to retake all 7 exams
even though she has passed 2. She was required to take all 7 exams in 1
week. I understand this is common practice with regard to retakes.

She is claiming that dyslexic people suffer from a vitamin B deficiency
because of maintaining concentration levels and that she has been
discriminated against under the DDA and she should not have been
expected to take all her exams in 1 week.

I am not aware of any link between Dyslexia and vitamin deficiency and
an internet search proved fruitless.  My colleague contacted the
Dyslexia Institute who said they had never heard of this either. The
student stated that her GP backs her claims.

Would be grateful if anyone has any feedback on this or knows of any
research in this area.

Thanks

Katy

Katy Mann
Disability Adviser, West End
University of Westminster
CCPD
72 Great Portland Street
London W1W 7UW
Tel/Minicom:(020) 7915 5456
Fax: (020)7911 5162

This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only
and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must not
copy or showthem to anyone, nor should you take any action based on
them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.