we just offer a percentage of extra time as appropriate. e.g. if a
dyslexic student also had need of rest breaks because of a physical
disability/medical condition, we would allow 25% for dyslexia and
perhaps another 10% for the disability (dependent on the severity
of the condition). The extra exam time is just added on.
We found individual  "stop the clock" technique extremely difficult
to use in a roomful of people taking "breaks" at different times and
for differing lengths of time.
The invigilators are made aware if any examinees have more than the
usual 25% and ensure that the minimum disruption takes place when
other students leave the exam room.

val
Can anyone advise me on rest breaks in examinations. If a student is
recommended extra time in exams and rest breaks, should the rest
breaks be in addition to the extra time or inclusive? If it is in
addition, is extra time added at the end or does the exam stop and
resume?
I know there was a request last week about the marking of
assessments/examinations for dyslexic students but as yet I don't
think there has been a reply. If anyone has any information and can
offer guidance, it would be greatly appreciated. We have a number
of courses, i.e. Journalism, English and creative writing that assess
spelling, grammar and punctuation as a learning module outcome and I
am being asked what is best practice in dealing with this situation
and in line with SENDA
Any help with these queries would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.
With best wishes
Claire
Disability Support Manager