At KCL they refuse to support Ms Outlook  or Outlook  Express because of
the lack of a secure address book/tendency to "catch" viruses and spread
them. The main supported e-mail client is "Execmail" which used to be
Simeon, I believe. In the past I used Outlook & Outlook Express, but found
Eudora superior for my needs.

I have used Dragon with most free (sponsored) versions of Eudora. DNS Pro
7.3 also works very well with webmail, including KCL's, Lycos (formerly
eudoramail), and Yahoo.

Within Eudora (now version 6.1.2.0) many items have keyboard shortcuts, so
it's very easy to build commands. So I can "check all mail", "reply to
message", "attach file", "delete mail from server", "mark as read", "make
filter", "go to In box", "read next message", "transfer message", etc., by
voice.

Re dictation:
Yes, you can dictate into Eudora without problems. Correction, however, has
been harder since version 6. If you use the standard "correct  that" right
away (or "correct X"), things are fine, until the corrected text is typed
in, most often overwriting more than just the misrecognised text.

I now use "select that" "select X X X", etc. and then choose the correct
choice. The correct choice IS usually there, often as choice number one. If
none are correct, saying "correct  that" at this point brings up those
choices, in an editable manner. Choosing the correct version of what you
dictated usually does not result in overwritten text.

I find, however, that DNS only remembers a few lines at a time within Eudora.

Using "scratch that" is also safer than "undo that" in this version of
Eudora as otherwise you often undo more than the last utterance, in many
instances.

Sorry if I've run on too long re this, but for many reasons Eudora has been
excellent, so working around its issues (which may change with DNS8, and/or
with Eudora 7!) is worth it to me. In any case, most things can be
automated easily, so I have stuck with Eudora.

I hope this has been useful.

Regards,

Celia

At 15:27 10/11/2004, Cowling, Mark wrote:
>I use Dragon Standard Edition, which does not work with Outlook email,
>at least as a remote user. I simply open Dragon Pad or Word, dictate my
>email there and copy it. This might be thought tedious but I also find
>it is very easy to miss mistakes in dictated material as they don't show
>up in the way traditional typos do. Copying the material onto a
>different format often helps me find additional errors. Curiously,
>Dragon Standard works fine with Yahoo! Email - but I still tend to do
>the copying process, both to find mistakes and because my dictation gets
>understood as commands some of the time.
>
>Mark Cowling

Regards,

Celia

Disability Support Officer, Equality & Diversity Department, King's College
London, 7.36 James Clerk Maxwell Building, 57 Waterloo Road, London SE1
8WA  Tel: 020 7848 3799   Fax: 020 7848 3490. This message may have been
typed, but on a typically bad RSI /WRMDs (Work related Musculoskeletal
Disorders) day it will have been produced using voice recognition software;
please ignore any dictation errors I failed to recognise and correct.

For appointments, please contact the Office Co-ordinator
([log in to unmask]); 020 7848 3398.