Rhun

If you reduce the screen reader window in textHELP Read and Write down
to a small size, and put it in the middle of the screen, you can get it
to show a word or so at a time, which doesn't need any tracking at all.
But you do still need to be able to hold focus. It has been suggested
that you can actually absorb text and meaning faster in this way. You
can also, of course, have speech feedback at the same time, which might
also help. You can do the same trick with Kurzweil 3000.

If the screen solutions like textHELP Read and Write aren't suitable,
for paper you can get magnifying tracker lenses:

See http://www.marcus.freeserve.co.uk and http://www.coil.co.uk or
specifically http://www.dyslexia.fsworld.co.uk/page2.htm.

Other home made solutions are card with a cut out window, transparent
overlays with a cut out window (or two transparent overlays together, 1
with a cut out, if he finds colour useful), or indeed a ruler.

I presume that he has had a Meares/Irlen assessment?

Regards
Ian Litterick
www.iansyst.co.uk
www.dyslexic.com
(Texthelp & Kurzweil vendor, to declare the obvious interest)

Unless obviously public, this email is confidential to the intended
recipient(s). If you received it in error please tell the sender and then
delete it. We check emails from dyslexic.com and iansyst.co.uk, but you
should virus check incoming emails. Emails do not always represent our
official policy or a contract. Errors and omissions are excepted.

iANSYST Ltd, Fen House, Fen Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 1UN. T +44(0)1223 420101;
Fax +44(0) 1223 42 66 44; [log in to unmask]