Caryl,

I was a little concerned as to the full extent of your request, ie that some
institutions might construe the meaning and letters might possibly be sent
to disabled applicants without any assessment of their needs or physical
requirements.  I therefore consulted a colleague at the Disability Rights
Commission who sent me the following:

"I'm not sure there is a stock answer to this, although the e-mail
suggesting advice had been sought from the legal officer and that ownership
of the decision was at a senior level seems eminently sensible. In terms of
the law, it is of course the 'responsible body' which would end up in Court,
so perhaps a process which sought their counsel/sign off would be sensible,
but I suppose that depends on how much authority they delegate to their
managers?
In terms of process, would there have been a discussion with the student or
prospective student (including any advocates) and the seeking of advice etc
leading up to such a decision. And would a 'right of appeal' be offered to
the student - all important both in demonstrating that reasonable steps have
been taken (even if ultimately a particular adjustment cannot be made) and
also in resolving issues outside the Courts. The issue of how a decision has
been arrived at is as much a factor in determining reasonableness as the
final decision itself, as it is this which determines in many ways the
credibility of the decision, and so whether reasonable steps have been
taken.
So to summarise that ramble (!) the key issues are the decision making
process and ownership!"

I also asked in a subsequent message what would the situation be if
rejection letters were sent out without assessing the student and the
possible reasonable adjustments.  The reply was:

"Indeed!  Without an assessment they could be accused of applying a blanket
policy and this would almost definitely put them in dangerous territory re
the DDA, other than when they are applying common objective criteria to
refuse admission (e.g. the requirement to hold particular levels of
qualifications, other credible academic standards)"

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards, John.