dear all

an article on Resource Harvesting within the OAI-PMH Framework by Herbert van der Sompel, Carl Lagoze, Simeon Warner, and Michael Nelson will be of interest to the list.

A number of  repositories are experimenting with OAI-PMH for replication of their content to trusted archives or international mirror sites. Examples given in the article are the American Physical Society and MAGIC (others include the Internet Archive and shortly some UK institutional repositories funded under the JISC 04/04 programme)

The article is in the December issue of DLib. URL and abstract below.

Neil
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december04/vandesompel/12vandesompel.html

Abstract

Motivated by preservation and resource discovery, we examine how digital resources, and not just metadata about resources, can be harvested using the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH). We review and critique existing techniques for identifying and gathering digital resources using metadata harvested through the OAI-PMH. We introduce an alternative solution that builds on the introduction of complex object formats that provide a more accurate way to describe digital resources. We argue that the use of complex object formats as OAI-PMH metadata formats results in a reliable and attractive approach for incremental harvesting of resources using the OAI-PMH.

Neil Beagrie FRSA                   Tel/Fax/Voicemail :+44 (0)709 2048179
BL/JISC Partnership Manager    email:                    [log in to unmask]
The British Library,                    urls:                      www.bl.uk
96 Euston Road,                                                   www.jisc.ac.uk
London NW1 2DB