Call for papers – el_media

4. VDR Restorers Day 2005 with the international and interdisciplinary
conference
14. – 19. November 2005 in Berlin

Raumkunst: Video installations – electronic artworks

This is a follow-up to the “Call for Papers” for the 4. Restorers Day
14. – 19. November 2005, published in the VDR Bulletin 3.2004.

During the 2005 Conference of the VDR Restorers (German association of
conservators), the expert group for electric and electronic heritage
(“el_media”) are hosting a session dedicated to video art and electronic
artworks and would like to invite participation. This session is
particularly interested in the challenges posed by video installations.

The earliest video works date from the early seventies and these now
present a serious challenge to the museum community. How do we document
the different possible iterations of these installations?  How do we
conserve and restore the media elements? What are our long-term data
archiving strategies? Is it acceptable to convert analogue material into
a digital domain? What is the relationship of the equipment to the
identity of the work? Video artworks turn into complex video
installations, when they are set into space - What is the influence of
the space on the installation and how do we gauge the impact when this
changes?

This session aims to build upon the experience of the international
museum community in caring and managing video installations. The session
will explore the response of the museum in terms of the need to develop
an interdisciplinary approach involving the expertise of the
conservator, the artist, the curator, technical experts and media
scientists in order to develop an adequate conservation strategy for
these works.

Because of the complexity of this topic, we would welcome various
contributions not only in order to enable the exchange of ideas and to
get to new points of view.

A journey to Berlin is always worth it and might be stimulating for this
conference. Conference languages will be German and English. It is
anticipated to provide simultaneous translation and a publication is
planned.

Abstracts for papers, poster-presentations or workshops should be sent
by 15. January  2005  (ca. 150 words of the content, name and address of
authors, e-mail and telephone numbers etc.) to the program committee:
mail: [log in to unmask] or to
Ulrich Lang
Museum für Moderne Kunst
Domstr. 10
D-60311 Frankfurt am Main
tel.: +49-69-212-33 719
fax: +49-69-212-37 882)

In order to represent a wide range of topics, you will be invited for
this conference in February 2005 to submit the draft paper (ca. 4000
words, max. 2 images / tables) with notes regarding form of
presentation, volume, technical equipment needed etc. For invited
lecturers the costs for the journey and accomodation will be paid for by
the VDR.

--
VDR MKKM el_media mailing_list
--

Bitte teilen Sie unter [log in to unmask] - Betreffzeile