I am happy for journalists to be openly part of the list. There is no way to stop them being part of it. If the list was restricted to people with ac.uk, org.uk or gov.uk addresses, what is to stop a journalist enrolling on a course or joining a voluntary organisation?

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Sally Justice [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 August 2004 10:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Journalists on the list

So does anyone admit to being a journalist on this list ............:-)

I must say my original note was only an awareness, after all whose to
say that your Boss hasn't  joined the list as "invisible lurker" to see
if you really do know what you are talking about in DP matters and that
you don't put your organization into disrepute!"

I don't think this list has had any problems form journalists whatsoever

I know the FOI list is now thinking of making quite hard and fast rules
but to my mind I will monitor and keep things as they are if subscribers
are happy about this?

Sally

--
Sally Justice
Computer Services
Pounder Chris wrote:

>The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be privileged. Please refer to the notice at the foot of this e-mail before reading any further.
>

>Its not journalists on the list which is the problem - its journalists
>thinking that they can freely use e-mails describing DP problems as a
>source for their stories which is the problem.
>
>No-one is going to use this list if they think that what they send could
>appear in the local rag - possibly identifying them by name. For
>example, consider this paragraph of a story which is to appear in the
>North Chingford Gazette next week.
>
>        "In a bizarre twist which shows the incompetence of the local
>Council, Fred Bloggs, ostensibly       the Data Protection Officer,
>admitted to his colleagues that he did not know whether he could use
>Council Tax data to catch benefit cheats or speeding motorists"
>
>If there are journalists on the list, then they have to have clear rules
>of what to do if they want to use e-mails in their stories. And we need
>clear rules of what to expect if we send an e-mail to a group which
>contains journalists.
>
>Over to Sally for action, I suspect

            All user commands can be found at : -

            All user commands can be found at : -