Ian, comments below...

I didn't perceive details of my car journeys as having any value at all
until this scheme was proposed.  They only generate value when they are
used by the insurance company and passed on in an anonymised/summarised
form to third parties as they've stated. If they do anything else it
will be commercial suicide. It is not really a privacy issue to me at
the moment.

and

> Were the data protection information detailed in such a way
> that you were aware of exactly what would happen with your
> data and were happy that in all the circumstances of your
> life (public and private) no problem could arise?

Yes. If the company misuses my information, any of the scenarios that I
can envision do not result in harm to me. If anything does happens, I
walk away.

> Does this mean you trust the insurance company more than they
> trust you as an individual?  i.e. a simple declaration that
> you would only drive 'X'
> miles on 'X' roads could have the same outcome.

Yes, *I* wouldn't trust me. I'd cheat!

Seriously, 'trust' is the wrong word. I broadly understand the insurance
company's motives. As long as there is some quid pro quo then I will
enter into a contract with them. As I said, I can walk away at any time.
I balance the risk and the reward and find them acceptable.

> Where the accompanying reduction of risk for the insurance
> company results in a more targeted cost focus will your
> e.g. A number of accidents happen on your regular routes
> increasing the premium for those who travel those routes.
> Response : 1. Hassle the highways authority vigorously to
> improve the situation - even if it increases their costs. 2.
> Change the routes you travel, thereby reducing your insurance
> costs but increasing traffic on those roads which have
> cheaper insurance premiums.

I do not expect the insurance company to provide me with enough level of
detail to make that sort of decision.  As the experiment progresses, I
expect broad guidelines on the relative costs for various driving
conditions.

A straw poll round the office suggested most people do not have any
privacy concerns about this. Discussing it, the example you give above
was raised unprompted as an issue. Perhaps one in five were nervous
about the increased amount of information stored about their activities
and the telephone analogy was raised again. Interestingly, Pay as You Go
in the mobile phone world is at the opposite end of the privacy spectrum
as no personal information is required or stored.

The ultimate in privacy? ...or the tool of the devil and every drug
lord!

Allan

This email is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright.
Any unauthorised use or disclosure of its content is prohibited.
The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily
be the views held by East Ayrshire Council.
See our Terms & Conditions as published at http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk.

            All user commands can be found at : -