-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steven Elliott
Sent: 13 August 2004 11:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] National Fraud Initiative 2004/05

Our audit section has just sent out a document relating to the above
initiative, which is essentially a fair processing notice to advise all
our employees that their payroll data will be matched with other payroll
and housing benefit data held by other councils across the country, as
well as internally with our own housing benefit data. There is no
suggestion of consent, and indeed the letter says this is a mandatory
exercise.

The intention of course is to identify overpayments, and where fraud can
be proved, the letter threatens disciplinary action and/or criminal
prosecution. This is a national initiative run by the Audit Commission.

The letter was sent out to ensure they comply with DP, but although I
understand the Section 29 exemption, I am somewhat wary of this kind of
wholesale data matching, especially as I believe a third party company
does the matching, and I have seen no evidence of data sharing
agreements between this company and the Audit Commission as yet,
although I'm sure there must be something in place.

I'm also not sure whether this could be enforced in the private sector,
and if that is the case could see the potential for challenge to this on
a privacy basis under HRA, as it does not seem fair to subject public
sector employees to this and not the private sector.

My ideas on this are by no means crystal, but if anyone has any comments
I would certainly be interested. Any thoughts?

            All user commands can be found at : -

The information in this email is confidential and is meant solely for
the intended recipients. The information contained in this email may
not be the views of Perth & Kinross Council. It is possible for email
to be falsified and the sender cannot be held responsible for the
integrity of the information contained in it.
If you have received this email in error, any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender
immediately and delete this email.

            All user commands can be found at : -