The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be privileged. Please refer to the notice at the foot of this e-mail before reading any further.

This topic was a subject which we took up in our newsletter where we
analysed the Durant judgment. We disagree with the OIC's view that a
record of a name was not personal data.

If you conclude, as we have done, that if a record of a name is data -
then it is also personal data if there is an identifiable data subject -
it follows that [log in to unmask] is personal data.

However, in general we expect that for a private sector organisation,
mere mention of a name in a paper record will not be not data and
therefore cannot be personal data. For public sector bodies, we think a
record of a name will most likely to be personal data (thanks to FOI)

I have extracted a file which explains our analysis.

If you want a copy, reply to this e-mail.

*
	Dr. C.N.M. Pounder

*
	Consultant & Editor of Data Protection & Privacy Practice
*
	Information & Technology Group
*
	Masons - International Law Firm
*
	DDI: +44(0)20 7490 6605
*
	Fax: +44(0)20 7490 2545
*
	E-mail: [log in to unmask]
*
	Post-mail: 30 Aylesbury Street, London EC1R 0ER, UK
*
	www.masons.com
*
	www.out-law.com

We are delighted to announce that Masons and Out-Law.com have once again been shortlisted for recognition in this year's e-LOTIES and LOTIES Awards (Legal Office Technology Innovation Awards).The annual awards are organised by In Brief Magazine. We would be grateful if you would take five minutes to vote for us!

Voting closes on 30th July for the e-LOTIES and on 22nd October for the LOTIES. Please visit
www.masons.com/php/page.php?page_id=eloties4400 for further details

If you have received this e-mail in error, do not use the contents of the e-mail or disclose it to any other person. Please notify us by reply, or telephone our London office on +44 (0) 20 7490 4000, and then delete the e-mail. We believe, but do not warrant, that this e-mail and its attachments are virus-free, but you should check. Masons may monitor traffic data of both business and personal e-mails. By replying to this e-mail, you consent to Masons' monitoring the content of any e-mails you send to or receive from Masons. Masons is not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where this is a non-business e-mail.

Masons is an international law firm with offices in London, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Brussels, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore. Further information about the firm and a list of partners are available for inspection at 30 Aylesbury Street, London EC1R 0ER or from our web site at www.masons.com. Each of our offices is regulated by the relevant local law society.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet using MessageLabs SkyScan services. For more information visit: www.star.net.uk.

            All user commands can be found at : -