DPCS Associates on 30 May 2004 at 23:26 said:-

> Have I completely lost the plot?  Is this really a data
> protection issue?

It is a DP issue directly relevant to those who are concerned with
disclosure/use issues relating to medical data.

Otherwise personally I perceive it as a more generic but very important
issue covering justificatory cause for principle one compliance when looking
at Schedule 1 or 2 conditions; Hence how to approach any DP matter, what
questions are relevant in that approach and the content of any Code of
Practice.

i.e. Can I collect and use data regarding a persons reading habits or
particular viewpoints for organisational purposes. If that is possible, what
justification could provide legitimacy for that purpose, what restrictions
will exist surrounding that data, and how can the other principles be
effectively implemented to reflect that situation?

My understanding is that answers emanating from the Common law and answers
emanating from Human Rights law can differ, sometimes in fundamental ways:

1. Common law requires individuals to prove they have been harmed after any
event and may need to catch up (Expensive for all involved);

2. Human Rights law requires sufficient cause/reason prior to any personal
data collection and hence before any harm is caused to the data subject.

Human Rights law has a wide international and considered signatory base, so
would seem more widely geographically relevant.
The Common law depends on historical origins and is frequently focused for
various reasons.

I also think the Human Rights law is what is termed 'superior law', so takes
precedence over the Common law.  Perhaps one of the lawyers in the group
could confirm/deny that.

Each EU member states ICO's guidance should actually reflect the base set of
laws which they use to formulate their guidance, and hence the eventual
accuracy, effectiveness, scope and resilience of that guidance.  Providing
guidance focused on a set of the common law would seem to inevitably leave
any guidance vulnerable and only of restricted use to international
business.

Ian W