From: Tim Trent [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 May 2004 17:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] New DPA case

I would suggest that a backup is not of itself a mechanism structured
for systematic retrieval of individual data elements.  Thus the backup
per se is outwith the scope of the legislation.  It is only when you
restore the backup that the data again is capable of systematic
retrieval.

Thoughts?

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP http://www.marketingimprovement.com

This message is for the intended addressee's use only. It may contain
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission.
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the
sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.