The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be privileged. Please refer to the notice at the foot of this e-mail before reading any further.

We have our comments to the Home Affairs Select Committee on ID Cards
with a series of recommendations (summarised below) followed by a brief
explanation

If you want a copy of the text, just reply to this e-mail

Chris

Our recommendations to the Committee are summarised as follows:

1. We invite the Committee to conclude that the original focus on an
ID/entitlement card scheme upon a mechanism for establishing identity
has been replaced by an emphasis on the central database of registrable
facts.

2. We invite the Committee to conclude that for most part, the contents
of the central database of registrable facts have nothing to do with
establishing identity or entitlement.

3. We invite the Committee to conclude that the central database of
registrable facts is needed mainly in order to link diverse Government
databases together and/or to serve the needs of the law enforcement
agencies.

4. We invite the Committee to conclude that the central database of
registrable facts should not contain audit trails of ID card use that
can be accessed, in secret, by the security services and police in order
to identify the services used by every citizen.

5. We invite the Committee to conclude the Data Protection Act will not
afford much privacy protection in relation to the collection and use of
registrable facts on the central database.

6. We invite the Committee to conclude that public support for the
introduction of an ID Card has been obtained in the absence of an
informed public debate about the nature of the  central database of
registrable facts.

7. We invite the Committee to conclude that  the provisions in the draft
ID Card Bill which grant powers to Ministers to draft wide regulations
which can impact on privacy are not subject to effective scrutiny.

If you have received this e-mail in error, do not use the contents of the e-mail or disclose it to any other person. Please notify us by reply, or telephone our London office on +44 (0) 20 7490 4000, and then delete the e-mail. We believe, but do not warrant, that this e-mail and its attachments are virus-free, but you should check. Masons may monitor traffic data of both business and personal e-mails. By replying to this e-mail, you consent to Masons' monitoring the content of any e-mails you send to or receive from Masons. Masons is not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where this is a non-business e-mail.

Masons is an international law firm with offices in London, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Brussels, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore. Further information about the firm and a list of partners are available for inspection at 30 Aylesbury Street, London EC1R 0ER or from our web site at www.masons.com. Each of our offices is regulated by the relevant local law society.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet using MessageLabs SkyScan services. For more information visit: www.star.net.uk.

            All user commands can be found at : -

This e-mail and any files that accompany it are intended only for the
use of the addressee/s, and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure. If the reader is not
an intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution or other use of this
e-mail is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately.  Any
views or opinions presented do not necessarily represent those of
the College.

Thank you.

            All user commands can be found at : -