Clementine Amawo on 11 May 2004 18:52

> The fact of the matter is that if the TB is of a virulent
> strain, then surely the doctors concerned would not allow the
> tenant to live in a property where he/she will come in
> contact with the every day public. So has the contractors got
> anything to worry about?

Hospitalisation is the normal route for infectious diseases considered a
danger to the public.
Although I do suppose lay opinion may differ about that.

> I am not only concerned with confidentiality issues
> surrounding this event; I am also concerned with the
> protection of those agents deployed by the organisation, as
> well as other members of staff. In my mind the contractors
> should have been informed and so should all staff on a need
> to know basis only.

Has somebody proposed that your organisation maintain an infectious disease
records of each tenant?  I had thought that was a role of the medical
profession/infectious disease teams.

That additional data collection sounds like much work (duplicating the
responsibilities of the doctors), for which the organisation would probably
require its own medical opinion(cost) regarding each tenants diseases.
Unless of course the originating doctors opinion was trusted for the purpose
of the diagnosis, in which case, why is it not trusted for the
treatment/decision regarding isolation if necessary.

Given the above, the implications of justifying Principles 1,2,3,4 5 6 & 7
seem quite extraordinary.  Add principle 8 if your housing database is
outsourced or processed abroad.

Ian W

            All user commands can be found at : -