But mailing lists, like spam, can become overwhelming for the individual or
business in the on-line world.

Consider that you place your e-mail address on an open mailing list for
information relating to - a specific book or subject - how many commercial
vendors of that material exist who may want to obtain your custom?  Given
that it is a wired world, maybe thousands nationally, if not hundreds of
thousands worldwide.  If they were all sold that list containing your e-mail
you would be overwhelmed with responses.  No good for the individual or
business - yet this happens.  And when the individual obtains what they
need, do they then spend the rest of their life asking to be removed from
each vendors lists, or more simply change their e-mail address? (Which seems
to be the resolution most often used)

Who is responsible for the difficulty - the individual, the individual
commercial vendors - or neither?  Who should resolve the difficulty?  Does
such a system promote anybodies interest?  Even with common sense and DP
both being active, the same difficulty continues, with the potential
customer audience being alienated. Perhaps the push model of business is not
suitable for the wired world, but I would guess the advertising industry and
some sectors of commerce would deny that strenuously.

Ian W