** Reply to note from Samantha Yalden <[log in to unmask]>         Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:31:37 -0000

Hi,

I am a bit lost (signs of ignorance of careers activities probably).

> Dear All
>
> I am new to the Data Protection Act and have recently been asked to advise our
> Careers Department on an issue with releasing clients' data to outside third
> parties.  The parties are funding bodies and require the data for auditing and
> monitoring purposes.

Who are the clients?  Students by any chance?

What are the outside parties.  Funding bodies as in LEAs, particular student
sponsors (eg a research council or an embassy).  Is it funding bodies that fund
your careers department (is there such a thing?) and do they really have
grounds to demand the details of your clients.

> From my limited knowledge of the Act I know that the data subject must give
> their consent to the data sharing.  For those that physically come into the
> department this will be done by a Data Protection statement on the
> registration form which they sign stating that they give their permission for
> the data to be shared with project partners.

Why is it necessary to give *clients* personal data with or without their
consent?  Who puts the requirement on you.

> The difficulty comes with those clients where contact is exclusively by email.
>  Is it enough for the University to have a statement on its correspondence
> notifying the client that their information will be shared, or should we seek
> to get the client's explicit written consent?

As above.

=======================
There have been previous issues about releasing careers data to HESA  and
many universities refused to do so.  I am a bit surpirsed that there are others
that can have a bigger stick than HESA.

PFI is here to stay from the look of things.

Regards
Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Planning & Information, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Scotland, United Kingdom. Tel: 44(0)1382-344891. Fax: 44(0)1382-348845.
http://www.somis.dundee.ac.uk/

            All user commands can be found at : -