Roland Perry on 15 April 2004 at 11:52 said:-

>>That argument is sterile red tape if other forms of ID are available.
> But they aren't.

That does not appear to be an accurate perception.  Passports, Credit Cards,
Bank Cards, Utility bills, Work ID.......

>>The need for any sort of personal judgement by the seller can also be
>>totally removed.
> Because that's the law.

Reduction/removal of personal liability within a litigious culture does make
sense. Once again who benefits?

> Perhaps with the patient who presents himself for treatment
> at other than his local GP.

Occasionally a small proportion of the populace may do that yes. Although a
paradoxically large and expensive answer for a minority groups occasional
(although urgent) need for which other equally efficient and effective
answers already exist.

From my viewpoint looked at from a privacy and a freedom perspective, the
gains all seem very one sided and fail to provide any advantages to outweigh
the risks present for the least advantaged groups.  In that sort of climate
they (ID and a central health database) would seem most unlikely to succeed
in what they attempt thereby further exacerbating the risks which are
present for individuals.

Ian W

            All user commands can be found at : -