Roland Perry on Friday, February 13, 2004 at 4:46 PM said:-

> if list readers ever get asked for advice.......
> they'll know a bit
> more about how to approach it.

A late off-line comment on that point about something I was not aware of and
which seems relevant to organisational DPO's/ITSec's, who may come across
such matters:-

> were getting C_h_i_l_d P_o_r_n...........
> [according to] the Hi Tech Crime Unit there is not a problem if you
> access (unwittingly stumble across) the site but if you click to open
> a thumbnail, then you have 'produced'.

Although quite how sites like the 'Warez' ones would be catered for I do not
know.

(For those not aware - The Warez site contains password crackers and hacking
tools.  Some years ago I visited, when looking for a Word password cracker,
to open a document I had forgotten the password to (that's my story anyway).
Amazing how many simple to use operating system administrator password
cracking and other hacking tools there are out there)  Suppose there will be
a need to refresh myself on the cracking communities advances in privacy
infringement tools at some stage, but that will have to wait until I have a
clean and simply rebuild-able machine available. Makes you feel sorry for IT
security people trying to keep up to date.

Anyway - the site I visited seemed to use pictures of naked people as a
protection mechanism to move people off into other areas, or attract them.
Many unsolicited windows popped up, with what were more than could be
described as thumbnails, many cookies and other devices were also used by
the site.  I suppose the relevant prosecuting agency needs to consider many
factors in determining whether to proceed with prosecution - but as you said
earlier the publicity is what is generally perceived as causing the damage
by individuals involved.

It does look that, rather like CRM type software, the internet can create
many shallow plastic identities, which then become easily disposable by the
organisations/social group(s) they may belong to, merely leaving the
identity behind for someone else to potentially adopt; When considered, in
many circumstances probably not beneficial for anybody.  A most strangely
developing situation if deliberated upon from various privacy perspectives.
E.g. Remaining strangers in the night, private but not private, there but
never really there.  A history of organisations/people on the internet could
quite validly incorporate a large section on the dysfunctional uses of
illusion.

Ian W

            All user commands can be found at : -