I would be very unhappy about emails addressed to me which threatened to
disappear at a time other than of my choosing.  If I am expected to do
something on the basis of an email, then I require to keep that email
until my needs are satisfied. We could all work up plausible scenarios
in which the lack of the source document undermined our authority or
audit requirements.

Of course there will be some areas where this might be legitimate but
almost certainly these would be mutual and highly structured.  I still
doubt the 100% water tightness of any solution outside a very small
number of very closely controlled environments.

It is relevant that the "recall" feature only works if the original
message has not been read (or delivered locally for reading?)  This
seems a sensible compromise.  If I have read it, I may have taken action
or formed an opinion in the light of that and am entitled to retain the
message to underpin my actions.

Regards

Jim
Jim Whitaker
Head of Information Management and Internal Communications
British Educational Communications and Technology agency
Millburn Hill Road
Science Park    Telephone      024 7679 7452
Coventry                                  024 7641 6994 (Ext 3341)

CV4 7JJ         Fax                 024 7684 7071