Dear all,

An SAR is received and, in the servicing of it, a number of emails are
uncovered that contain text far from complimentary to the data subject.

The author of the messages argues that although the data subject figures
in the message s/he was clearly not the intended recipient of the
message - and on that basis argues for non-disclosure. (this of course
is rejected)

However, how much of the email needs to be disclosed - it has been
suggested (by the OIC) that it is acceptable to supply only the text of
a message - not the metadata. This seems to me to contradict Part II 7
(1) (c) (ii) but I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else thinks.

It would certainly ease the job to be able to respond to third party
concerns by telling them that we are merely copying and pasting the
contents of a message. And then simply say to the data subject that it
originated with the Uni and that's the bottom line detail they're
getting in respect of 'source of those data'

Gerry.

Mr.G.Dane
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
Email: [log in to unmask]
The views expressed in this message are those of the
sender and not necessarily those of the University.

            All user commands can be found at : -