From: Kirsty E Gray [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 October 2004 12:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Block registration of students on the
electoral roll

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:31:53 +0100, Jim Whitaker
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think that those of you in HE will find (those of you in England and
>Wales anyway) that your University/college has a duty to give the
>relevant Electoral Officer the names and details of those students who
>are resident in University owned (managed?) accommodation.

Just a few more thoughts!

Is it definately a requirement to provide names or just 'custom &
practice'? Isn't that treating students like children, not adults? Plus
not all resident students will be eligible to vote in the UK anyway - do
you have to differentiate by nationality?

Has the Robinson case and restricted access version of the ER changed
the position at all?

Even if there is some requirement to provide names / details of resident
students for ERO to follow up - surely not the same as actually
registering them on the ER?

Regards, Kirsty.

the system manager.
www.mimesweeper.com