Ian Mansbach on 30 September 2004 at 17:18 said:-

> The position is not much different from that of consent being
> refused. If
> you have been diligent in seeking consent and you don't get
> it for whatever
> reason then, unless it is reasonable in all the circumstances
> to disclose
> the third party data without consent, you are not obliged to
> provide it. The
> steps taken in seeking consent, whether the third party is
> capable of giving
> it, and any express refusal to give consent are specific
> considerations to
> be taken into account in deciding whether it is reasonable to disclose
> without consent. If one has sought consent and nothing has
> been heard by
> shortly before the 40th day on the SAR clock then it would be wise to
> consider whether it is reasonable to disclose without
> consent. In that way,
> if you decide it is reasonable, you still have time to comply.

If the SAR clock for third party consent data starts on the date that it was
recognised consent may be needed, and that date was approximately thirty
days down the line from the original start date, it could mean a full
response was not given until as much as seventy days or more after the
request was received.

That seems a very tenuous conclusion to reach from the DPA wording itself,
notwithstanding that the decision on reasonableness could still need to be
taken.

Ian W

            All user commands can be found at : -