-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Welton
Sent: 16 September 2004 15:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Police Requests

Ian Mansbach on 16 September 2004 at 12:39 said:-

> One needs to decide if the information is personal data and
> apply Durant
> earlier in the process. I suggest the following
> (over-simplified) approach:

The process you describe is correct for * compiling * the SAR response.

I was speaking of the material forming the response, some of which could
be removed from the new definitions of personal data by the re-dacting
process.

As with all data holdings a dependency then arises relating to the
filing system used to store the SAR response data.  If that system does
not fall within the amended DPA definitions, and some of the redacted
data does not meet the amended definitions, how could it be determined
to be personal data?

A similar issue would arise with a letter extracted from a personnel
file and subsequently stored in a way which does not fall within the
amended DPA personal data criteria.  Ergo it is not personal data.

And that is before you begin to even look at the s.29 responses relating
to material which does not itself immediately identify the data subject.
(Even prior to considering the amended personal data definitions.)

Ian W

            All user commands can be found at : -

*** This Message has been scanned for viruses by the NHSU WebShield
Virus Scanner, but is not guaranteed free from viruses ***

*** This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail and have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the NHSU WebShield Virus Scanner, but is not guaranteed free from viruses ***

            All user commands can be found at : -