-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Watson, Patrick
Sent: 08 September 2004 08:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interaction between DPA and FOI

The point that I am trying to clarify is whether chronologically
maintained manual personnel files escape disclosure under both the DPA
and FOIA.  When I put this to OIC I was told that chronologically
ordered manual personnel files did not meet the definition of a relevant
filing system and were not disclosable.  I then asked whether a data
subject could access this same personnel file under FOIA and was told no
as it contained personal data. The OIC cannot have it both ways.

There is no doubt that manual personnel files are crammed full of
personal data and this makes the Durant decision illogical.  Personnel
files probably hold more personal data than any other file in the
organisation and current and former staff will find bizarre that they
cannot get any form of access to it under DPA or FOIA.  Have we got a
situation that excludes this employment area from any effective scrutiny
by data subjects.

Patrick