Tim Trent on 15 July 2004 at 07:58 asked:-

> The whole thing might be compared to a speed limit in the
> car.  It may be
> legal to drive past a school at 30mph, and even reasoanble, law
> notwithstanding, to drive past at 40mph or more in the wee
> small hours.  It
> is unreasonable to drive past even at the legal limit at
> school arrival or
> chucking out times.
>
> You know I wrote that and then wondered how realistic that
> analogy was!

Reasonably good analogy when you consider that the legal framework attempts
to reflect that with the "Due care and consideration" requirements.

As has been correctly pointed out, there are often wider considerations
within DP. Interesting when something external to the law forms the
acceptable boundaries of behaviour in many ways, and equally interesting
that in many circumstances legal constraints are apparently needed.
(Consider equal opportunities or discrimination issues for instance or
things like pyramid selling which have in the past shown themselves to be
unacceptable to many.)

I suppose, dependent on the personalities involved the softer issues can
frequently be the more effective argument, but equally because they are
soft, sometimes they will be ineffective, or simply, like fashion, be
changed.

Sad when the legal framework hides or masks unacceptable behaviour, equally
sad when it concretely strictures acceptable behaviour.  Some may say it is
a pity people are not all the same, having exactly the same viewpoints, and
then everybody could adhere to the same set of rules thereby reducing the
complexity of choice for action, that could certainly simplify many tasks
people undertake.

Clever how the DP principles seem to be able to largely encompass all of
that, interesting when they do not.

Ian W

            All user commands can be found at : -