An e-mail address is not a single item of information. In the same way
that a home address is more than one item of information, while it may
easy to view it as such, it is in fact made up of more than one element.
The e-mail address is two pieces of information - a unique id for the
account and then a domain name.

>>> davidwyatt <[log in to unmask]> 06/16/04 12:03am >>>
OK Charles Im bored again

I don't dispute an email address should be unique thats an IT system
perspective. However human error shows this is not always true.
However giving the drafting of the Act a single item of information on
its
own cannot be personal data (data being plural) so arguing an email
address
is personal data is false. Even a 'name' on its own is not personal
data but
simply a datum. How can a name be proved unique?

Moving swiftly on to the element of the definition 'data which may come
into
the possession of the data controller'. If your data is not uniquely
identifiable in the first place how can you be sure you have a correct
match
with third party data sources even if you can lawfully have access
their
data. e.g  J Smith = J Smith  or email address = email address?  I
accept
that many matching processes are more sophisticated than this but many
also
have errors in assumption. The risks from data mismatch and sharing
were
drivers for granting individuals legislative rights in respect personal
data
processing transparency and access.(But balancing the access right via
drafting with a discretion given to judges to overule access rights
aka
Durant)

Then theres a question of lawful disclosures to allow data to be
shared.
Leaving aside criminal investigations or stautory obligation, is the
lawful
means of obtaining personal data from sources other than the data
subject as
common as we may believe. Im not aware of any controller who has
advised me
when collecting data from me it will disclose to anyone who asks.
Certainly
not my ISP who manages my subscriber details and can connect such data
with
my email addresses.

All the above are technical arguments but are possible as avenues of
exploration in disputes.

In practice however DPA compliance boils down to simply a risk
assessment
exercise by each controller.

Can I have a subject access by email now? ;-)
ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
sleep.

David Wyatt