[log in to unmask] writes:

> As another billing authority the power to demand the information is likely
> to come from regulation 4 of The Council Tax (Administration and
> Enforcement) Regulations 1992 (Statutory Instrument 1992 No. 613) but
> generally when looking at council tax disclosures consider s17 of the Local
> Government Finance Act 1992 which limits the disclosure of personal data.
> Incidentally it's worth remembering that personal data is defined
> differently in LGFA than in DPA and does include data on the deceased.

-----------
Please take care with this regulation, it is fairly specific and if you are
not one of the following, there appears to be no requirement to disclose: (a)
any other billing authority, (b) any precepting authority, (c) any levying
authority, (d) the electoral registration officer for any area in Great Britain,
and (e) any community charges registration officer.

Neil is right in saying that his council would have the right to ask another
council for the data and they would have to supply it, but I believe the
original question was from a housing association.  I wonder if this is something of
an oversight when councils go for wholesale council house transfers?

Ian B

Ian Buckland
Managing Director
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information given above does not replace or negate the need
for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is essential that you do not
rely upon any advice given without contacting your solicitor.  If you need
further explanation of any points raised please contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at
the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP