Paul

Thanks for your comments, which are appreciated.

As Julian's bill is number four on the ballot it is unlikely that it will
proceed into law. However there is general agreement that the Data
Protection Act has not done anything to help voluntary organisations of all
shapes and sizes and we are hopeful that raising the profile in this way
will act as a catalyst for a better, long-term solution.

To give you an example of what we are up against, someone who wanted to
start a Girl Guide group in her town was told that the Data Protection Act
meant she could not be supplied with the names and telephone numbers of
others running similar groups in nearby areas.

As I understand it, Julian wanted to avoid making the existing complex rules
on Data Protection even more complicated and was looking for a simple
"exemption" type clause.

--
Graham Smith

            All user commands can be found at : -