In all honesty - although the aim is laudible - I'm not sure I could support
this, for three main reasons:

1) The inclusion of the words "or statutory body", without clarification,
within the qualifying list of organisations is too much of a catch-all
description and would enable several organisations to make use of this clause;

2) The majority of volunteers will have a different view of "the public
interest" from the general public whose data may be held by the voluntary body
(donors, etc).  If the police have difficulty with this legal argument (witnessed
by the photo of a convicted burglar on a leaflet episode) what chance is there
that the voluntary body or worker would get it right?;

3) The generality of the second section - saying "any" data - would leave it
open to abuse.

Ian B
----------------

In a message dated 02/03/04 02:19:28 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> 30A Voluntary bodies and organisations
>      35 (1) Any voluntary organisation, volunteering body, or statutory body
>         is entitled to reveal:
>           (a) contact details relating to, and
>         (b) the names of officers of any voluntary organisation or
>             volunteering body, provided that this information is disclosed
>             in good faith and other than for commercial gain.
>         (2) Any voluntary organisation or volunteering body or volunteer
> shall
>         not be guilty of an offence if, in good faith and other than for
>         commercial gain, it or he discloses any data in circumstances where
>         the disclosures of that data was, in the opinion of the volunteer,
>         voluntary organisation or volunteering body, necessary for, or
>         desirable in, the public interest.
>         (3) In this section, "voluntary organisation" and "volunteering
> body"
>         have the same meanings as in the Promotion of Volunteering Act 2004.

            All user commands can be found at : -