[log in to unmask] writes:

> A policeman who happened to be in the house (this is the
> shortened version of the story!) asked how he knew that as finding out the
> information would be an offence under the DPA.

----------
A policeman was in my sister's house (he's her new boyfriend) and we were
discussing the Soham case. I suggested (tongue in cheek) that all people
associated with job applicants who were subject to CRB checks should also be checked
out, to cover situations such as that case - because if Huntley had worked in a
shop he would still have been able to gain access to the girls because of his
relationship with Maxine Carr.  I said, "so that would be like my sister's
criminal record coming up when you were checked out for a job as a policeman" (I
was joking, she doesn't have a record) and he said to me "but she hasn't got
a record, I've already checked".

Perhaps he too was joking, but if he wasn't, is there a requirement that
police officers' girl/boyfriends have to have their probity checked?  Would the
officer be responsible his/herself for undertaking this check?

Ian B

Ian Buckland
Managing Director
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information given above does not replace or negate the need
for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is essential that you do not
rely upon any advice given without contacting your solicitor.  If you need
further explanation of any points raised please contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at
the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP