Doreen

Observations

As you know it is not for the service provider to dictate the data use. The
data security responsibility sits with the user of that service provider. If
the service provider is using personal data from your organisation then they
appear to become a data processor. As such the direction as to the uses and
disclosures of personal data should be detailed in the written contract a
controller is obliged to enter into.

However as we know directing and managing security operations of a
'processor' is not at all easy to acheive.

ie Exactly how is data erased and the fact adequately evidenced when the
service is completed? and How is the processor exercising controls on their
support organisations?  ie IT Service support for example.

I would raise questions with the person contracting for this training
service to see what they had considered and covered in the training service
contract and see how those services (which should include security services)
are to be measured monitored.

However it could be the live data being referred to is data about your own
employee being trained. In which case the employee as the data subject is
disclosing data about themselves direct to the trainer organisations who
would in that context become the data controller because of their direct
relationship to the individual. Personal data  here could be name of
employee, home address, qualifications etc. However data items such as
employee id number is not data owned by the data subject to disclose as they
please. It is part of your own organisations systems and whether it can be
disclosed by employees is something your organisation has to direct your
employees on possibly via employment or data security policies.

Hope this assists

David Wyatt