-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emma Bothamley
Sent: 15 November 2004 17:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Providing names in a work context

We seem to have a little bit of an issue arising - think it might be a case
of our DP training being too effective!  Some of our call centre staff are
starting to refuse to provide their surnames to customers as they say this
is their personal data and they don't need to provide it (and we shouldn't
force them - we're not forcing them, by the way).  This is causing
complaints from customers who think that if call centre staff won't give out
their full names, is it because they are providing incorrect information and
don't want to be held responsible.

I appreciate that where someone has an unusual surname,  a specific
individual can be identified from the information and therefore this is
technically covered by the DPA.    But . . .  surely in a work environment,
there must be a reasonable expectation from the employee that their name may
be provided in a work context and that anonymity cannot be guaranteed.
I just can't see how anonymity would be a practical option.

Any thoughts on this one?  Any help on the best way to tackle this would be
most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Emma

Emma Bothamley
Data Protection Consultant

01733 471226

UKLS Financial Services Ltd No. 3715118, NPI Ltd No. 3725037, National
Provident Life Ltd No. 3641947, NPI Investment Managers Ltd No. 0962757, NPI
Portfolio Managers Ltd No. 2238069, London Life Ltd No. 1179800, London Life
Linked Assurances Ltd No. 1396188, Pearl Assurance plc No.
1419, Pearl Assurance (Unit Funds) Ltd No. 1027138, Pearl Assurance (Unit
Linked Pensions) Ltd No. 1122485, Pearl Unit Trusts Ltd No.
958262, Pearl ISA Ltd No. 3597973 are the companies that make up the HHG
Life Services Marketing Group and are authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority for pensions, investments and life assurance.
Pearl GI Ltd No. 2587380 is a member of the General Insurance Standards
Council. UKLS Financial Services Ltd is registered with the Mortgage Board.
All companies are registered in England at The Pearl Centre, Lynch Wood,
Peterborough PE2 6FY. Tel. 01733 470470. We may record or monitor telephone
calls to improve service and protect customers.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee and access to this
e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. Although this message and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might
affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no
responsibility is accepted by any company within the HHG group of companies
for any loss or damage in any way arising from its use.

            All user commands can be found at : -

            All user commands can be found at : -