Hi Ian of KITLegal,

Ages ago I recall that the list consensus was for simple and discreet
advertising of items such as yours.  I take the view (not that I have any
"right" to take this view) that a single, simple advert, considerately
worded as yours is, without "puff and hype" and placed once is acceptable.
Multiple pushes for the same thing or "advertising language", to me are not.

That is a view I have subscribed to when promoting my own company's events,
for example.  If we are interested, then we will spot the items and will
look at the site.  And ideally we will book.  Otherwise we will not.

It's not totally surprising with a list of this size that we also meet, all
unknowing, "list colleagues" at events.  Sometimes they even reveal to us
that we "know" each other. Not only because of this, but for many sane
business reason it behoves us, those of us who provide services of potential
interest to this community, to behave with decorum (such as you have shown).

I see your and similar messages in a different light from UCE, since the
list consensus is to receive them.  But that is partly because their content
is not hyped.  I think we would all view a "Pile 'em high and sell 'em
cheap" message oft repeated in a very different light.  Of course we must
also remain sensitive to the list's desire (or not) as a community to
receive these messages or not.

If we have skills or information to offer, whether these are for commercial
gain or not, that are of real value to this community, then, if we offer
them well and competently, this is a service to the community.

It would do no harm, I think, to hear agreeing or dissenting views on this
matter.  It does need to be aired from time to time, especially since we
have many new members, possibly with different expectations from the
veterans.

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP
http://www.marketingimprovement.com <http://www.marketingimprovement.com>

This message is for the intended addressee's use only. It may contain
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.

            All user commands can be found at : -