Let us ignore the law:

Is what you want to do a sound, sensible and common sense business practice,
and one the person emailing the ex employee would expect to take place?

I think the answer to that is a resounding "YES".  This means that, even
were it to be unlawful the complaint level would be zero.

Adding in the law says to me "The person they are emailing was a
representative of the company, rather than an individual.  The law refers to
the handling of data by companies (well, data controllers, but you know what
I mean).  The company is handling the inbound email competently and stating
what it is doing.  Thus there is no problem."

The only issue you will get is if the ex employee has used their corporate
email address to subscribe to "Naughty Nookie monthly" and you discover this
(frankly they should have been more careful, but they can always say it was
spam), or of they were running some sort of "unusual and inappropriate
message scheme" from their corporate email address.  And in that case there
will be a number of red faced people around.

The message here is to ensure that the people to whom the email is forwarded
are made firmly aware of their responsibilities over any unusual material
they may receive, and additionally, I suppose, would not feel (eg) sexually
harassed by receiving "Naughty Nookie" by email directed to them by actions
of their employer.

Doesn't it get complex when you lift the lid?

By the way, when in doubt about something *always* use the most extreme
sexual example you can think of.  While it is "unreasonable" in so many ways
it also shows where there is potential for offence and data disaster

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP
http://www.marketingimprovement.com

This message is for the intended addressee's use only. It may contain
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.