I think you make a valid case for the qualification with this message.  As
usual, though, the public sector "feels" well ahead of the private sector in
understanding the point

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pounder Chris
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 1:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Thoughts requested on ISEBs

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be privileged. Please
refer to the notice at the foot of this e-mail before reading any further.

Can I add one important observation in relation to the DP ISEB. The Seventh
Principle requires Data Controllers to train staff and that includes the
DPO. My own view is that Data Controller protect themselves from the
accusation that they do not take data protection seriously by making sure
that their DPO is ISEB qualified.

This is made clear, in the Bichard Inquiry, where the data protection
officer for Humberside was asked the following set of questions at the
beginning:

Q Can I just confirm, you are the data protection officer for the Humberside
Police Force and you have been since 14 December 1999?
A. That is correct.

Q. Prior to that you also worked in the role of data protection and
information security officer at Kirklees Metropolitan Council?
A. That is correct, yes.

Q. What training have you had in data protection issues?
I think it would be nice to be able to answer this one by saying one has the
ISEB qualification!

I am not making this point because I deliver DP ISEB course - its because I
think DPO's on this list should consider the qualification as a protective
measure for their employer and also, because it might open enhanced job
prospects.

        Dr. C.N.M. Pounder

*
        Consultant & Editor of Data Protection & Privacy Practice
*
        Information & Technology Group
*
        Masons - International Law Firm
*
        DDI: +44(0)20 7490 6605
*
        Fax: +44(0)20 7490 2545
*
        E-mail: [log in to unmask]
*
        Post-mail: 30 Aylesbury Street, London EC1R 0ER, UK
*
        www.masons.com
*
        www.out-law.com

We are delighted to announce that Masons has been shortlisted for
recognition in this year's LOTIES Awards (Legal Office Technology Innovation
Awards).The annual awards are organised by In Brief Magazine. We would be
grateful if you would take five minutes to vote for us!

Voting closes on 22nd October. Please visit
www.masons.com/php/page.php?page_id=eloties4400 for further details

If you have received this e-mail in error, do not use the contents of the
e-mail or disclose it to any other person. Please notify us by reply, or
telephone our London office on +44 (0) 20 7490 4000, and then delete the
e-mail. We believe, but do not warrant, that this e-mail and its attachments
are virus-free, but you should check. Masons may monitor traffic data of
both business and personal e-mails. By replying to this e-mail, you consent
to Masons' monitoring the content of any e-mails you send to or receive from
Masons. Masons is not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where
this is a non-business e-mail.

Masons is an international law firm with offices in London, Bristol,
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Brussels, Hong Kong and Shanghai.
Further information about the firm and a list of partners are available for
inspection at 30 Aylesbury Street, London EC1R 0ER or from our web site at
www.masons.com. Each of our offices is regulated by the relevant local law
society.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet using
MessageLabs SkyScan services. For more information visit: www.star.net.uk.

            All user commands can be found at : -

            All user commands can be found at : -