I'm probably being argumentative for the sake of it (I don't like Tuesdays),
but this approach worries me. Either data-sharing is legal, or it isn't.
Either you can satisfy the DP conditions, or you can't. There is no escape
from that. Even if you don't ask for consent, you may very well have to tell
people what you're doing or likely to be doing with their data. However, to
start from the presumption that all data sharing must include consent just
reduces the options. It puts the DP officer in the likely position of being
the person in the room who always says no. In my opinion, there is nothing
worse for an organisation aspiring to be DP compliant than the DP officer
being associated entirely with the word "No." If you say no (or 'consent')
all the time, it doesn't make the organisation more compliant, it just makes
it more likely that people won't ask for advice any more. Besides, consent
is useless if you don't have the vires to share in the first place.

Is it unfair to suggest that your view is doctrinal - i.e. nothing is
legitimate without consent? What I took from your answer is that there isn't
a substantial public interest test, not a formal one. Now, you mention
"proportionality rules". Where are these rules? If every piece of advice I
gave had to include considerations of human rights, common law and natural
justice, I wouldn't leave the house.

Tim Turner
Data Protection Officer
Wigan Council

the system manager.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses using Sophos
anti-virus software.

www.mimesweeper.com
www.sophos.com

            All user commands can be found at : -