Surely that's not a conviction? That's a plea. If the newspaper says that Mr
A. has been convicted, then he has been found guilty. If Mr A has entered a
guilty plea, but the process is still ongoing, then it would be wrong to say
that Mr A has been convicted of an offence. But even then, if the person in
question is charged with something serious (say, for the sake of argument,
attacking council staff), I would at least consider sharing via a PVP list
that Mr A has been charged with attacking council staff, and warning council
staff to take precautions. If Mr A is subsequently acquitted, I would
probably remove the warning. If he is convicted, I would change the warning
to 'has been convicted of'.

Is the risk of 'a lot of trouble' potentially necessary, rather than
explaining to a staff member (or their family) why information that could
have been helpful was kept secret for fear of falling foul of Data
Protection? Admittedly, I'm playing devil's advocate, but I know what my
priorities are. If push comes to shove, I would personally rather be
hammered by the Information Commissioner than risk staff safety. I'm not
sure the two have to be in conflict. But if they do compete, a knee-jerk
reaction of share nothing in case it causes you bother is a hard sell. There
are a very small minority of violent people out there, but we shouldn't put
people unnecessarily in harm's way if data-sharing can avoid that.

Tim Turner
Data Protection Officer
Wigan Council