On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:48:24 +0100, Graham Hadfield <graham_hadfield@REDCAR-
CLEVELAND.GOV.UK> wrote:

>I can see that point. However, if the individual gives a false address in
>order to access the part of the register that he/she wants to how is the
>ERO to know?

But the public don't have to prove identity or give details of their
purpose when consulting the register - so why are ERO's asking for this?
Individuals tracing ancestors / errant spouses etc. will be covered by
the 'domestic' exemption. Unfortunately so will burglers making hand-
written notes of properties with elderly, single, female occupants!

The Representation of the Peoples Act 2000 requires the ERO to compile a
public register of all those eligible to vote. Its availability has seen as
part of the fundamental foundation of electoral democracy since 1832!

The full register must be available to certain specified organisations at a
specific price plus allows, but does not require, the ERO to sell an edited
version to other organisations at a higher price.

I think that the pursuit of the Robertson case pre-dated the 2000 act - the
fact that individuals could not opt out of secondary use of PD on ER by
commercial organisations etc. was already being addressed by governement,
just not fast enough.

But there was never - as far as I'm aware - any intention to limit the
access / useage of the ER by members of the public

Kirsty E Gray
Data Protection Officer
Commission for Social Care Inspection

Note: comments for discussion and debate only and do not necessarily
reflect the corporate position of the CSCI nor constitute legal advice.

            All user commands can be found at : -